Copyright music licensing changes


PRS and PPL, the two bodies that allow you to use copyright-controlled music in your building, are changing the way they issue their licences.

For a couple of years, the invoicing has been managed by PRS so you only get one invoice even if you need both the PRS and PPL licences. From your next renewal date, they will be combined into a single licence, simply called ‘The Music Licence’. More details are on the new combined website.

For now at least, it looks like you can still pay for just the PRS aspect, if that’s all you need to cover the way that music is used in your building. The current system is explained in section 6 of Village Hall Information Sheet 7, which is available free by email to Action Hampshire member organisations. The Information Sheet will be updated once PRS and PPL have fully explained the new system.