Housing Need Surveys
We carry out Housing Need Surveys when Parish Councils want information about the housing situation in their parish, and the types of accommodation needed.
The housing need survey is tailored to ensure that questions are specific to what the Parish Council wants. The questionnaire is delivered to all households in the parish and residents usually have around three weeks to respond to the survey. We then process the data and write up the results in a report.
Advantages of Housing Need Surveys
Housing need surveys:
- identify additional local housing need that is not currently being recognised by housing registers (some households may not know how to register or be aware that they have to register to be eligible to bid for an affordable property)
- identify concealed housing need in the parish; these are people who are unable to afford to rent or buy a property in their area and are living within another household
- identify households/individuals who have had to move out of the parish due to difficulties in finding a suitable home locally
- give local people the opportunity to explain why they are in housing need
- help the Parish Council understand why there is a local housing need in the parish
- help find out whether residents would support a small affordable housing scheme in the parish
- raise awareness of this issue to the local community
- can be used alongside the Housing Register as robust evidence by the local planning authority when determining planning applications
If you are interested in finding out more about Housing Need Surveys, please contact Mags Wylie or Catherine Kirkham.
- Mags Wylie (Senior Rural Housing Enabler covering Hart, Winchester and Basingstoke & Deane) Tel: 01962 857361, Email:Mags Wylie
- Catherine Kirkham (Rural Housing Enabler covering Test Valley, East Hampshire and New Forest) Tel: 01962 857362, Email:Catherine Kirkham